- 3 1/2 cups (420 grams) all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (130 grams) sugar – you can lessen this
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shortening
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture (push mixture up sides of bowl), and pour sour cream and shortening into well.
- With a pastry blender, or fork and knife, cut sour cream and shortening into flour until particles are the size of peas.
- Using your hands, shape dough into a ball and knead until smooth.
- Divide dough into four pieces.
- Take one piece of dough and cover the rest with plastic wrap or a hand towel, until ready to use.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut out 4-inch (for small pies) or 5-inch (for bigger pies) diameter circles, using cardboard pattern as a guide.
- Gather the left over pieces and roll them out again.
- Repeat with other pieces of dough.
- Fill pastry with dough.
- Seal the edges with egg white/water mixture and make tiny folds all around the pie to seal edges nicely.
- Fill per batch of rolled out dough so that the dough does not stiffen.
- Remember that the dough was divided into four lots.
- Roll and fill per part of dough.