Many moons ago, there use to be competitions among the hotels in Manila as to who could come up with delectable desserts. My memory is a bit slow as to which hotel came up with this delicious dessert but that is how I came to make my own version. One would say that crepe is French, but we do have our fresh lumpia wrapper that is made of crepe, therefore, we could say that this Mango Crepe is also Pinoy.
Crepes – makes 8 pieces of 8-inch crepes
- 2 whole eggs
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) all purpose flour
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) melted butter
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- In a blender, place all the ingredients and mix till batter is smooth.
- Let stand in refrigerator for about 4 hours.
- Using a non-stick frying pan, pet pan on medium heat.
- When a drop of water dropped on pan sizzles and rolls, pan is ready.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into frying pan and make sure that you fill the bottom of the pan by tipping and tilting the pan, covering any holes left with a drop of batter or just by tilting in that direction. The lift the crepe by using a spatula and see if it is slightly brown and then flip over slowly and cook the other side till also light brown.
- Place cooked crepe on baking or plastic paper, separating each with the paper and stacking them one on top of the other. Cover top with another baking/plastic paper.
- Set aside.
- 21 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) sugar
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups fresh milk
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur – Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- In a double boiler, place the yolks and sugar and mix tell blended and then pour in the cream and milk.
- Fill the double boiler bottom with just 1 inch water and put over medium heat and place top part.
- Mixing continuously, cook the sauce till it is slightly thick; the sauce coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from the top from the base and continue stirring till slightly cool; then add the orange liqueur.
- Set aside.
- 4 to 6 ripe yellow mangoes – the best of course is the Carabao mango – peel and slice into 1-inch cubes
- Use a 14-inch by 8-inch by 2-inch high serving dish.
- Take one crepe and place on a plate.
- Arrange 1/3 to 1/2 cup of cubed mangoes on the middle of the crepe and just roll up.
- Place on one side of serving dish, crosswise; repeat and place rolled crepes beside each other.
- Pour sauce all over the crepes and in between rolled crepes.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.