Best served with white rice. Serves 6 persons.
- 1 whole free range chicken (native chicken is best) cut into parts
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 cup onion – cut into cubes
- 1 whole tomato – cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 cup tamarind juice from green tamarind – boil handful of green tamarind in 1 ½ cups water till tamarind is tender, mash with fork and strain juice or ½ cup tamarind paste (if using tamarind paste, add ¼ cup lemon juice)
- 6 cups rice water – when you wash the rice you will be using, don’t throw the water, use this
- 1 piece long green chili
- 1 bunch baby bok choy or 1 bunch kangkong– wash and cut into 3 or 4 parts
- 5 strands pole beans – cut into 3-inch lengths
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized casserole, over medium-low fire, place oil in pan and sauté garlic and onions till onions become translucent.
- Pour in fish sauce and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Place chicken in pot and slightly brown.
- Add in the tomatoes and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add tamarind juice, chili and rice water.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer.
- Cover till chicken is tender.
- Check for taste; adjust by adding – salt or fish sauce and pepper.
- Place the pole beans in soup and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the baby bok choy or kangkong and simmer for another minute.
- Serve hot with steamed white rice.