- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 50 grams (3 1/2 tablespoons) butter
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 250 grams bacon – sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 250 grams ham – sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 whole chicken – boiled till cook, deboned and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 small can Vienna Sausage, halved lengthwise, then sliced crosswise into 1/8-inch thick slices (half moon)
- 1 small can green peas or 100 grams frozen peas and cooked
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs – peeled and sliced into 8 half moons
Crust: See Empanada Pastry Recipe
Mixture for Sealing Pie Edges:
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Mix together well and use to brush edges of pie crust and to brush top of pie.
- You may also use milk to brush edges and top.
- In a medium wok over medium-low fire, saute onions in butter and oil until transparent.
- Add bacon and cook until half cooked.
- Add ham, chicken, Vienna sausage, peas, salt and pepper.
- Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking at the bottom and to blend the flavors.
- The mixture must be moist but not wet.
- Remove from fire and let cool.
- When cool, put 2 tablespoons (for small pies) or 1/4 cup (for bigger pies) of the mixture onto one side of rolled out pie crust.
- Top with a slice of hard boiled egg.
- Brush edges with egg-white/water mixture.
- Fold over the pie crust and seal edges by making small folds around.
- Brush top with egg-white/water mixture or milk.
- Arrange pies on a greased and floured cookie sheet or line cookie sheet with baking paper.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 175ºC or 350ºF for 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown.
- Makes 30 small pies or 25 big pies.
- The small pies are good for merienda and bigger ones for meals.